<< [Back to News Release Archive]
Raytheon Sponsors NBC's 'Education Nation' Sept. 26-28, 2010
National television broadcast and two-day summit to focus on improving education in the U.S.
WALTHAM, Mass., Sept. 24, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) is sponsoring NBC's first "Education Nation," an event and week-long television broadcast focused on improving the state of education in the United States. Raytheon's sponsorship extends the company's efforts to improve science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education and to ensure the country's future technology and innovation leadership.
The "Education Nation" event includes a two-day summit in New York City next week attended by policymakers, elected officials, executives, educators and others involved in the nation's education system. Topics covered during the summit will include readying students for the 21st century workforce, technology in education, teacher development and the impact of politics on education, among others.
"Raytheon is pleased to sponsor NBC's 'Education Nation' as a way to further emphasize the importance of providing American students with a world-class education so that they are prepared to help our nation remain a technology and innovation leader in the future," said Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson. "We all have an opportunity to work together to support this very important educational mission."
As part of its support for NBC's "Education Nation," Raytheon will exhibit its MathMovesU® program within a "Learning Plaza" in New York City's Rockefeller Plaza. MathMovesU is designed to inspire a critical age group — middle school students — to get excited about math and science. The "Learning Plaza" is an interactive public exhibition designed to present some of the most exciting innovations in the American educational system. The "Learning Plaza" will be open from Sept. 26-30.
Raytheon "Math Hero" award-winning teacher Bridget Bohnet and MathMovesU ambassador Jennifer Gray from Clearwater Fundamental Middle School, Fla., will also be on hand to showcase the company's MathMovesU website and how they effectively use the free interactive math site in their classrooms. Bohnet and Gray will present in the Learning Plaza's "The Educator" gallery on Tuesday, Sept. 28, at 8:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
This sponsorship is another example of Raytheon's work to drive solutions for the country's STEM education challenges. Select initiatives within the company's signature MathMovesU program include the following. More information on Raytheon's STEM initiatives may be found here.
- Change the Equation (CTEq): Launched at the White House by President Obama Sept. 16, 2010, the CTEq initiative supports the president's "Educate to Innovate" campaign, designed to increase private and philanthropic involvement in STEM education. CTEq is the first and only national CEO network devoted entirely to cultivating widespread literacy in STEM with a focus on a larger and more racially, ethnically and gender-diverse pool of students. Raytheon joins other companies in this effort and has pledged to invest in STEM programs during the next five years.
- U.S. STEM Education Model: Raytheon and Business Higher-Education Forum (BHEF) have partnered to produce the first-ever simulation and modeling tool for the U.S. STEM education system. This tool, known as the U.S. STEM Education Model, enables researchers, policy-makers and educators to explore policy scenarios that can strengthen U.S. STEM education and workforce outcomes.
- The Sum of all Thrills™: Raytheon is proud to present the Sum of all Thrills, a one-of-a-kind experience that lets children and park guests custom-design their own ride using mathematical tools and then immediately experience it in a robotic simulator. Sum of all Thrills is located within INNOVENTIONS at Epcot®, Walt Disney World. In addition to the experience at INNOVENTIONS®, Raytheon also created a virtual Sum of all Thrills experience on-line at www.MathMovesU.com
- MATHCOUNTS: Raytheon is the title sponsor of the MATHCOUNTS National Competition, a math enrichment and coaching program that promotes middle school mathematics achievement in every U.S. state and territory.
- The Hall at Patriot Place: Raytheon believes excitement for math and science can be encouraged by learning through sports. To that end, Raytheon celebrates the history and achievement of the New England Patriots while also promoting math and science education for children through football at The Hall at Patriot Place. Raytheon developed an interactive football-themed learning display called "In the Numbers" inside The Hall. Raytheon also sponsors the Patriots' math curriculum and works with the Patriots Foundation to develop educational outreach programs throughout Massachusetts. Patriot Place is the official home of the New England Patriots Hall of Fame.
- Sponsorships: Raytheon annually sponsors National Engineers Week and the FIRST Robotics Competition, each incorporating events and competitions to engage and excite students in math.
Raytheon Company, with 2009 sales of $25 billion, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security and other government markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 88 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as a broad range of mission support services. With headquarters in Waltham, Mass., Raytheon employs 75,000 people worldwide.
SOURCE Raytheon Company