Poland's MESKO and Raytheon sign second Letter of Intent
Companies to collaborate on Excalibur, TALON LGR and other systems
TUCSON, Ariz., March 26, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- In a move designed to collaborate and share advanced defense technologies, Raytheon Company's (NYSE: RTN) Missile Systems business signed a Letter of Intent with MESKO, Poland's leading missile and ammunition manufacturer.
Areas of cooperation focus on Raytheon's solutions for the KRAB howitzer precision fires and new Polish Attack Helicopter, including offset proposals and opportunities for MESKO.
"This is a tremendous step forward, allowing Raytheon to expand its collaborative relationship with our partners at MESKO and the Polish industrial community, while providing increased capabilities for the Poland land force " said Michelle Lohmeier, vice president of Raytheon's Land Warfare Systems product line. "The LOI serves as a tool for both companies to explore cooperation and mutually beneficial business opportunities, as well as potential exports to third country markets."
The agreement focuses on the production and future capabilities codevelopment of Raytheon's Excalibur 155 mm precision projectile and the TALON laser guided rocket, which was co-developed with United Arab Emirates industry. Additionally, Raytheon and MESKO will explore the potential for collaboration on a next generation anti-armor weapon and a very short range air defense weapon.
Previously, Raytheon signed an LOI with MESKO to cooperate on opportunities related to Poland's air defense architecture, as well as significant exports to global markets. That agreement calls for the companies to examine areas for partnership in categories such as:
- Patriot GEM-T missile sub-system production and qualification
- Patriot GEM-T missile integration, assembly and production
- System Level Integration and Engineering
Excalibur is a precision-guided, extended-range projectile that uses GPS guidance to provide accurate, first-round effects capability in any environment. By using Excalibur's level of precision, there is a major reduction in the time, cost and logistical burden associated with using other artillery munitions. Excalibur has been fielded by the U.S. Army, Marines, and several international militaries.
- Combat proven: Nearly 770 Excalibur rounds have been fired in combat with exceptional accuracy and lethality.
- Precise: Excalibur consistently strikes less than two meters from a precisely-located target.
- Safe: Excalibur's precision avoids collateral damage and has been employed within 75 meters of supported troops.
- Affordable: With its first round effects, Excalibur reduces total mission cost and time and the user's logistics burden.
- Growing: Raytheon has demonstrated a dual-mode GPS/semi-active laser seeker Excalibur variant to compensate for target location error, maintain precision in GPS denied or degraded environments, and enable engagement of relocated or moving targets.
- Entering New Markets: With Excalibur-N5, navies will be able to deliver extended range, precision naval surface fires from existing 5-inch/127 mm guns.
- TALON is a cooperative development program between Raytheon and the United Arab Emirates.
- Digital semiactive laser technology provides precision accuracy at low cost for 2.75-inch/70 mm rockets.
- TALON's versatility allows for sea, air and ground launch applications.
About MESKO S.A.
MESKO S.A. is supplying the Polish Armed Forces and other units responsible for national security with highly advanced and of high quality ammunition and missiles by introducing high technology.
Raytheon Company, with 2014 sales of $23 billion and 61,000 employees worldwide, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, security and civil markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 93 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as cyber security and a broad range of mission support services. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass. For more about Raytheon, visit us at www.raytheon.com and follow us on Twitter @raytheon.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/polands-mesko-and-raytheon-sign-second-letter-of-intent-300054616.html
SOURCE Raytheon Company